At the recent ECOO12 Conference held Toronto ON, I had the opportunity to co-host a panel discussion with Ed Doadt, principal at Waterloo Oxford District Secondary School. The panel discussion, which was scheduled at Friday October 26th, 2012 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. (EDT), focused on the topic of “bring your own device” to school (K-12). The panelists covered a broad range of roles from school administrator, CIO (IT), teacher, student, and Education Officer.
Panelists (listed in seating order)
- John Shanks, UGDSB
- Urs Bill, Ministry of Education
- Tim Hawes, OCDSB
- James Bond, WRDSB
- Liz Arbuckle, WRDSB
- Charlotte Carbone, WRDSB
- Lisa Unger, UGDSB
Guiding Questions for the discussion
1. Panel Intros: name, role, where is your organization re BYOD 0=leave device at home, 10 = widespread use by students and speakers
2. All – biggest pro, biggest con OK
3. All – Responsible use, digital citizenship promotion
4. IT comment – privacy, infrastructure, bandwidth, some – device management
5. All – How do you feel about open device testing? Where do you see this going?
6. Admin, Student – What skills do you look for in a new hire?
7. Time permitting, audience questions/comments
8. Wrap up
The session was well attended, the discussion interesting and the audience participation in the back channel was great! Resources from this session are linked below.
BYOD panel discussion audio recording from the Quest Radio 1-24 broadcast.
BYOD panel discussion participant back channel transcript from www.todaysmeet.com
~Mark & Ed
2 thoughts on “ECOO12 – BYOD Panel Discussion”