At the recent ECOO12 Conference held Toronto ON, I had the opportunity to co-host a panel discussion with Ed Doadt, principal at Waterloo Oxford District Secondary School. The panel discussion, which was scheduled at Friday October 26th, 2012 9:45 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. (EDT), focused on the topic of “bring your own device” to school (K-12). The panelists covered a broad range of roles from school administrator, CIO (IT), teacher, student, and Education Officer.
Panelists (listed in seating order)
- John Shanks, UGDSB
- Urs Bill, Ministry of Education
- Tim Hawes, OCDSB
- James Bond, WRDSB
- Liz Arbuckle, WRDSB
- Charlotte Carbone, WRDSB
- Lisa Unger, UGDSB
Guiding Questions for the discussion
1. Panel Intros: name, role, where is your organization re BYOD 0=leave device at home, 10 = widespread use by students and speakers
2. All – biggest pro, biggest con OK
3. All – Responsible use, digital citizenship promotion
4. IT comment – privacy, infrastructure, bandwidth, some – device management
5. All – How do you feel about open device testing? Where do you see this going?
6. Admin, Student – What skills do you look for in a new hire?
7. Time permitting, audience questions/comments
8. Wrap up
The session was well attended, the discussion interesting and the audience participation in the back channel was great! Resources from this session are linked below.
~Mark & Ed