I attended a technology planning meeting tonight with Rebecca Rouse, Carolyn Graham and the Smithson Public School CATC (computers across the curriculum) team. Reflecting on the meeting, a few thoughts stayed with me:
- good energy on the team
- positive outlook towards change
- technology change is messy right now, and shifting quickly. Time is needed in the sandbox to play!
- static vs dynamic use of technology (static = fixed labs etc., dynamic = technology in the student learning space)
- technology to enable and enhance learning, not new technology for technology’s sake
- discussion focused beyond now and short team –> what does the next 3 years look like at the school?
- increasing access
- advantages of mobile technology
- highlighting new learnings at staff meetings
I hope some of the discussion points listed here, might provide guidance to other sites in their planning process. We look forward to working with the Smithson staff to develop their plan and support them moving forward with their agenda.