When I got home today the newest publication from the Ontario Teachers College was in the mailbox. I did a quick thumb through and the article that initially caught my eye was the ‘Survey says …’
The article reports on a recent members survey. I noted two points:
1. Usage of social media by teachers is increasing (not really a surprise). Details showed
- 30.1% connect on Facebook for up to 2 hours per week
- 32.4 % watch YouTube for a little under an hour/week
- 50.3% tune into YouTube for as much as 2 hours/week
- 35.8% use other forms of social media
2. In answer to the question ‘Should the college (OTC) make use of social media tools?’, I found the results very interesting.
- MySpace 8%
- LinkedIn 11%
- Twitter 14%
- YouTube 20%
- Facebook 48%
Hmmm. Facebook wins by a landslide. While I am not surprised that members see value in using Facebook as a connecting tool, the margin of choice was surprising to me. I would have also anticipated the Twitter use would have been higher, especially given the extensive education based PLNs members are using effectively.
It is good to see the overall growth in the use of social media tools. Keep those PLN online connections alive. Invite a new person to participate today!